Have you been to a friend’s house and saw that they installed a flat-screen TV above the fireplace? And now you may be considering doing that too?
There are several good reasons to do it and a few NOT to.
Reasons to wall-mount a TV above the fireplace:
- The room will look great. If you are in the process of selling your property, it will show better and may result in a faster sale.
- You will free up a lot of space previously taken up by the TV and the cabinets.
- If it’s a rec or entertainment room, people helping themselves at the bar or playing pool will be able to see the TV from pretty much everywhere.
- It will put the TV and the cables away from the reach of children and pets.
Now here are a few things you need to consider before you decide to go ahead with this project:
- If it’s a new device with a balance of manufacturer’s warranty, that warranty may be null and void the moment you install your TV near a heat source like your fireplace.
- It’s not as much the heat that is the problem. It’s the swings of temperature that may cause your electronics to malfunction and “die” prematurely.
- If it’s an older wood-burning fireplace, it produces tiny particles of ash that that get inside the plastic shell of the TV set and form a layer of sediment on and around HDMI posts and interface connectors. When the temperature changes, excessive moisture in the air condensates on your electronics, and that ash acts as a conductor for electrical charge. You may experience all kinds of bad things from signal distortion to having your TV “fry” when you turn it on.
- Installing the TV on the wall above the fireplace, you may be placing it too high for someone to watch it comfortably from the sofa or the chair without straining their neck. Sometimes it is better to mount the TV on the wall next to the fireplace at a proper height.
Our TV installation consultants will be happy to review your room layout, the type and the structure of the fireplace, and provide you with a plan that addresses some or all of these issues. Call us today for a free TV installation consultation at 647-694-2201.